- Published: 01 April 2018 01 April 2018
- Hits: 156 156
TFC: BALOO & Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills Training - Choose from 1 of 4 opportunities
New Combined Course
Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS)
Complete two trainings in one class
BALOO - Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
Required training for: Cub Scout leaders to take the Pack or Webelos Dens camping
Recommended for all Cub Scout leaders and for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
Outdoor Leader Skills for the Boy Scout Outdoor Program
Required training for: Scoutmasters/Ass’t.Scoutmasters and Crew Advisers
Recommended for all Boy Scout leaders and for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
This combined course is designed as an introductory class and satisfy the requirements needed to take packs or Webelos dens camping, and required training for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters. The benefit to Cub Scout leaders is that after taking this one training they will be prepared for Boy Scouts. Leaders will not be required to retake an outdoor leader skills class for Boy Scouts.
â€‹Participants are required to stay overnight as a part of this course.
IOLS Course Description:
- Campsite Selection:Basics; Tent and Bag Specications
- Cooking and Sanitation:Prep; Storage; Meal Planning
- Fires, Stoves, Campfires:Equipment; Safety; Campfire Planning
- Interfaith Services:Inclusion; Incorporation at Camp-outs
- Outdoor Ethics: Leave No Trace; Tread Lightly!; Outdoor Code
- Packing and Hiking:Proper Gear; Packing Techniques
- Plant and Animal ID:Native and Invasive Species; Tracking
- Map and Compass:Basics; GPS; Geo cache
- Ropes and Knots:Whipping; Tying; Lashing
- Woods Tools:Pocketknife; Camp Saw; Ax; Proper Care and Use; Whittling Chip
BALOO Course Description:
In addition to the above topics the following will also be covered:
- Adventure Loops:Tips and Tricks for incorporation
- Health and Safety: Unique Situations; Risk Reduction
- Large Group Games:Tips and Tricks; Ideas
- Outdoor Ceremonies:Recognition; Planning
- Program Planning:Age Appropriateness; Recognitions
- Published: 18 February 2018 18 February 2018
- Hits: 232 232
Girls will be able to join the Cub Scout Packs this fall.
We need to be Ready for our new Family Friendly
(all inclusive) approach to Scouting. Please fill out the
attached flyer and send it to Dan Kocunik at
We will be ready to answer your questions.